We normally prepare wet chutneys with fresh grated coconut as the base with different ingredients. But other ingredients may be used as the base such as chick peas dal or peanuts. ( In fact in many hotels they combine small amounts of coconut with Dalia dal (roasted Bengal gram Dal) to reduce costs.)
I am putting up a chutney with peanuts as the base (with very little coconut) – I happened to try out this chutney last week for chapathi and it was much tastier than the normal chutney. Worth a shot – here goes the recipe.
[ Link to other wet chutney recipes ]
What you need to have:
– Peanuts – 4Oz/1/2 cup
– Fresh grated coconut – 4 teaspoons
– Curry leaves a few
– Coriander leaves – a handful
– Asafoetida ( soft ) – size of a peanut
– Tamarind pulp – 1/2 teaspoon
– Green chillie – 2-3
– Salt as per taste
Ingredients of Peanut wet chutney
What you do with what you have:
1. Grate coconut and keep it aside. Also clean , wash curry leaves, & corriander leaves.
2. Dry roast peanuts till you a pleasant aroma . Peal it on cooling.
3. Heat a teaspoon cooking oil in a small spatula and roast Asafoetida in it till it turns a little brown and crispy. Keep it aside and roast cut green chili in it.
4. In a blender/mixer bowl collect grated coconut, roasted green chili, asafoetida, peeled peanut, curry leaves, coriander leaves, tamarind and salt.
5. Grind while adding appropriate quantity of water so to get a medium coarse consistency as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Peanut wet chutney
Enjoy chutney with either roti, chapathi or even Rava dosa.
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Serves: 4-5 people