Ready to serve Moong-Dal usli
Moondal usli is one of the common breakfast menu among the konkani people in my young days. It is nutritious and also filling. People eat it as a combination with chapathi, bread etc. It is also prepared as prasad for Navarathri by Tamilians. Among the dals available in the market Moong dal is supposed to be very nutritious and good from the health point of view also. Some people prepare it by first cooking it in the cooker and then seasoning it. But I normally cook it directly and it tastes better. The reason being that when it is cooked directly we add the seasoning and all other ingredients directly and this enhances the flavour of the dish. Here goes the recipe.
What you need to have:
– Greengram Dal 200 grams
– Green chillie 3-4
– Ginger 1/2 ” piece
– Curry leaves a few
– Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
– Blackgram Dal 1/2 teaspoon
– Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
– Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
– Asafoetida powder 1/2 teaspoon
– Fresh grated coconut 1 Tablespoon
– Corriander leaves chopped a handful
– Red chilli 1
– Water to cook 350-400 ml
Ingredients of Moong Dal usli
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash Moong Dal in water for about 2-3 times and soak it in water for around 1/2 an hour. Cut green chillies, red chillies, chop ginger,corriander leaves and keep it aside.
2. Place a wide and thick bottomed bowl on gas on medium flame with 4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.On sputtering add Black gram dal fry till it turns light brown.
2.Add half the cumin seeds, red chillies , gren chillies, Chopped ginger and curry leaves.
3. When fried add Asafoetida powder, turmeric powder to it. Add soaked dal with water and in all add only 400 ml water to cook the same.
4. Add required quantity of salt, a pinch of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds also. Close the lid and allow it to cook for about 20 minutes on low flame.
5. Keep stiring every now and then else it will stick to the bottom of the vessel. On being cooked decorate it with chopped coriander leaves and the grated coconut as shown in the image below. It can be served with Tomato ketchup also.
Ready to serve Moong Dal Usli
What to remember:
1. Moong Dal if soaked in water for around 1/2 an hour then, one can reduce the quantity of water by 50 ml.
2. Dal has to be washed 2-3 times to avoid the raw smell.
3. If one wants dal to be seperated like the rice corns then he/she can cook it in cooker by adding the requireed quantity of water.
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5 people