Ample varieties of biscuits are available in the market now. But in my child hood days only 4-5 varieties of them were available and the most popular being the Glucose, arraroat, tiny small biscuits and the ‘animal’ biscuits. Ofcourse all these are available even now and in addition to these i think over 200 varieties as well.
I would like to put up a recipe here which i watched on a T.V. show a few years back (I can’t recall the name) and have also prepared a number of times. It has marie biscuit as a main ingredient. On preparing and ultimately tasting the same, I realized just how awesome it was. It is very simple and can be prepared beforehand and is worth giving a shot at if you are hosting parties at home.
I have used Britania Marie biscuits for this dish.
What you need to have:
– Branded Marie Biscuits – 15-16
– Instant coffee sachets(2) – 10 grams each
– Sugar as per taste
– Unsalted Butter 50 grams
– Chocolate powder 2-3 teaspoons
– Double toned milk(or any) – 3-4 teaspoons
Ingredients of the dish
What you do with what you have:
1. Powder sugar in mixer and just lukewarm milk so that instant coffee, powdered sugar can be dissolved to bring it to somewhat liquid form. (not too watery)
2. Dip the Biscuits in the liquid from step 1 and place it one above the other as shown in the image below on a aluminum foil.
Biscuits dipped in instant coffeee and stalked one above the other
3. Blend chocolate powder, butter, sugar powder to a fine paste and push the mix in the fridge for around 5 minutes if the mix turns too watery on blending.
4. Apply the mix to the stalked biscuit roll on all the sides and push the roll in the refregerator in the deep freezer for about 2-3 hours. Shift it to the lower shelf for around 25-30 minutes. The reason being that by then the roll will be right enough to cut.
4. Cut the roll in an angle in such a way to get the shape as shown in the image below with layers of coffee in between and chocolate on the edges.
Enjoy it with even tea in the evenings. You may also offer it at tea parties and birthday parties. Kids will enjoy it the most !
Ready to serve slices of Biscuits
What to remember:
1. Sugar has to added in required quantity. If less, due to bitterness of both choclate powder and instant coffee, the end product will be too bitter.
2. Blend sugarpowder with butter and push it in the fridge for around 5 minutes so that it will be easier to apply to the roll thoroughly. If the roll is cut immediately on being done from the freezer, then it tends to break and will not gain proper shape.
How long it takes: 30 minutes (other than deep freezing time of 3 hours)
Number of servings: 3-4 people