Alu tikkies actually is so popular a dish that it needs no prior introduction at all. My mom in my childhood days if she was to consult me for a menu for lunch in the afternoon, a frequent answer would be Alu tikkies. It turns out to be so yummy that my mouth still waters whenever i think of the same. It can be a light tiffin in the evening or can be a side dish for lunch. My kids enjoy them with rice and Konkani Dalithoy.
What you need to have:
Potatoes – 300 grams
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
Salt As per taste
Bread slices 4-5
Corriander leaves a handful chopped
Oil to fry 4-5 Tablespoons
Ingredients of Alu tikkies
What you do with what you have:
1.Wash, peal and cook potatoes in the cooker as usual till done.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in a spatula and add Mustard. When sputters add cumin seeds, switch off the flame and add Turmeric powder, Asafoetida powder & Chili powder.
3. Just dip the bread slice in water squeeze out the water from it and Smash cooked potatoes in it and mix well. Add seasoning from step 2 and add lemon juice, finely chopped coriander leaves, salt and knead well to make a pliable dough.
4. Pinch out 1 table spoon dough and make patties on your palm with your fingers about 2-3″ in diameter and 1″ in thickness and set it aside for about 10 minutes.(See image below)
4. Place a griddle on the flame with cooking oil and shallow fry the ready tikkies on both the sides till it turns light brown as shown in the image below.
Enjoy either plain or with Tomato ketchup. Or even as a side-dish for lunch.
Ready to serve Alu tikkies
What to remember
1. Finely chopped onions and garlic can be added for extra flavour. Green chillies can also be added instead of red chillie powder.
2. Tikkies may spoil when carried for lunch box, so better advised for immediate consumption.
3. Tikkies prepared and stored in the refregerator and can be shallow fried and offered during the parties also.
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 15-20 Tikkies