This is a standard dish and needs no detailed introduction. Alu Muttar masala dish is a side dish for Rotis, chapathis and puris. We can use either the fresh green peas or the dried ones, also if available the frozen or the tinned even. Fresh peas cooks faster and tastes yummy. It is easy to prepare and could be a party dish as well.
What you need to have:
Boiled Potatoes & fresh Green peas
Green peas – 200 grams
Potato – 100 grams
Onion (big) – 3
Ginger – 1/2″ piece
Garlic cloves – 3-4
Termeric powder -1/2 teaspoon
Chillie powder – 1 spoon
Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
Cashews a few
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Tomato – 1
Ingredients of the Wet Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash,peal and cook potatoes in a cooker. Also boil green peas in the cooker.
2. Cut Onions and tomatoes and keep aside. Prepare a paste of Ginger and Garlic paste by just mashing them together ( or you may use readymade paste)
3. Place a broad based bowl on medium flame with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. Add cut Onions,Tomatoes and a little salt to it and saute for around 10 minutes till it is shallow fried but not burnt.
4. Once fried add Turmeric powder, Chili powder, Cashews and Ginger-Garlic paste to it while continuing to fry them for a while. Cool this fried mixture and run it in the mixer/blender to a fine consistency.
5. Transfer the ground mixture to a bowl. Add cooked potatoes and Green peas from Step 1 and bring it to boil adding cumin seeds, till the mixture leaves a layer of oil on the sides of the bowl on a medium flame.
Ready to serve Alu Muttar masala
6. Garnish with Coriander leaves and serve hot with Chapathi, Puri or even Roasted Bread.
What to remember :
1. If as you are cooking you realize you have put a little too much of salt, adding a few pieces of potatoes can do the trick and restore some normalcy to the dish. This is true of not just this dish, but many other dishes where adding potato would not be out of place. See some previous cooking tips here.
2. If one is using the dry peas, it has to be soaked overnight in water and then cooked.
3. Cashew is added to thicken the dish, and also for extra flavour
How long it takes : 45 minutes
Number of Servings: 6