This dish is otherwise called “Thoushe (Cucumber) Muddo (Lump)” in Konkani in the Udupi/Mangalore region. In North Kanara, its called Kadamb. They are typically wrapped in turmeric leaves but since those are not quite available through the year, once can make in the Idli maker.
What you need to have:
Grated cucumber – 250 grams
Fresh grated coconut – 100 grams
Rice rava – 200 grams
Green chili – 2
Ginger 1/2″ piece
Chopped coriander leaves – a handful
Water – 1 Table spoon
Salt as per taste
Ingredients of Cucumber idlies
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal, grate cucumber and also grate coconut.
2. Grind both grated cucumber and coconut in the mixer to a smooth consistency without adding water. (since cucumber contains lot of water)
3. Mix rice rava to the above mixture from step 2.
4. Add grated green chilly, ginger,salt and finely chopped corriander leaves to it .
The cucumber idli mix
5. Place a spatula with cooking oil in it on the flame. Add mustard, on sputtering add split blackgram dal and add it to the idli mix.
6. Keep the batter aside for around 15 minutes. Grease the idli maker, put the batter in the molds and steam it as usual in cooker for around 20 minutes.
7. Serve hot with any dry chutney powder or with butter.
Steamed idlies with chutney powder
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of Servings: 12-16 idlies