Vangi bhath is the delicacy from Karnataka. It can be a breakfast, party as well as a lunch dish. We prefer as a breakfast dish. Vangi is otherwise called Brinjal/Egg plant. It is available in two colors namely – green and purple. They come in spherical and enlongated shapes. Among the variety of dishes we prepare, one of them is Vangi Bhath. In my family all of us love Vangi bhath with a combination of either potato chips or the usual Haldirams mixtures. The recipe I am putting up uses the usual Semolina. Supposing you prepare it with rice then it could be a rice item and can be a lunch dish.
Meanwhile please note that while you may use one of the commercially available powders, if you wish to give a shot at preparing your own version of Vangi Bhath powder, see my earlier post.
What you need to have:
Bombay Semolina – 150 grams
Cracked wheat Semolina – 50 grams
Brinjal/Egg Plant pieces – 100 grams
Green chillies – 4
Curry leaves a few
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Split Blackgram Dal – 1 teaspoon
Cashews – 10-15
Vangi bhath powder – 3-4 teaspoon
Fresh grated coconut – 2-3 teaspoon
Chopped coriander leaves – 2 teaspoon
Cooking oil – 2 tablespoon
Water – 550 ml
Ingredients of Vangi bhath
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a broad based vessel on a medium flame and dry roast both the Semolina separately till you get a pleasant aroma.
2. In another vessel keep the required quantity of water on the other gas stove to bring it to boil.
3. Wash and cut Brinjal into pieces of your preferred size and keep it aside.
4. Place a broad based vessel on medium flame with 2 table spoons of cooking oil and mustard in it.
5. When it sputters add split blackgram Dal to it. When fried add cashews, green chillies, curry leaves to it.
6. Add cut Brinjal pieces, salt to it and close it with a lid for around 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
7. Once it is cooked add roasted Semolina to it and stir for a while.
8. Add salt, vangi bhath powder and required quantity of boiled water to it. Stir and close it with a lid for a while till done.
9. Once semolina is cooked decorate it with finely chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut.
10. Enjoy it with either Haldiram’s mixture or Bhujia as shown in the image. It could be a party dish and a lunch box as well.
Ready to serve Vangi bhath with mixture
What to remember:
– One can also use Capsicum in place of Brinjal. It will enhance the flavour.
– Add water in steps, not all at once.
– One of the purposes of adding salt to Brinjal is to avoid it from getting over cooked.
– And don’t forget – you don’t have to buy Vangi bhath powder/mix if you are willing to make your own !
How long it takes: 45 minutes
No of servings : 4