About Rava Laddoo
Rava Laddoo/Laddu is the delicacy of Karnataka. It is usually prepared during festive occasions such as Janmashtami and other religious functions observed by the Kannadigas in places like Bangalore and Mysore. Rava Laddoo is made from the thin semolina called the Chiroti rava. Some people also use Bombay rava, but it being thicker there are chances that the Laddoos become too brittle to handle and distribute. Even taste wise, I prefer when they are made out of Chiroti rava it would be better of.
A note of caution though is that although they are easy to prepare as you will from the description below, its unlikely you might get it right the first time. So do not be disheartened and try again. Sankashti this month being on Tue, March 25, I hope you will find sufficient time to try this and get it right for the occasion. I am putting this up at the request of one of the readers who prepares Coconut-Rava Laddoo as a prasadam/offering for sankashti.
What you need to have:
– Chiroti rava (Semolina thin) – 100 g
– Fresh grated coconut – 50 g
– Sugar – 150 g
– Cardamom 10
– Resins 20
– Water 175 ml
– Pure ghee – 2-3 teaspoons
Ingredients of Rava/Semolina Laddu
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a broad based bowl on the gas with 2 teaspoons of liquid ghee in it. On heating add the semolina and fry it, till you get a pleasant aroma and transfer out.
3. In the same/similar broad-based bowl, take 1 spoon of melted ghee and fry grated coconut till the coconut dries up as shown in the image below. Do make sure that it does not burn.
Fried ingredients in pure ghee
3. Peal cardamoms and keep the seeds aside.
4. Place a bowl with 150 grams sugar and 175 grams water on a medium flame and bring it to boil and reaches a 1 string (one thar)consistency.
5. On boiling, switch off the gas and add fried Semolina, coconut and the cardamom seeds from above steps and stir well. Keep this mixture aside for a while and let it cool.
6. When cooled tie laddoos adding resin/Kishmish to each laddoo as shown in the image below.
Ready Semolina laddus
What to remember:
1. Please see that the sugar syrup is done to only 1 string consistency. It should be tender string, else you may not be able to tie the laddus at all. So give a trial just before you prepare for the prasadam.
2. The quantity of water also depends upon the Semolina you use for it. Suppose you do not get to tie the laddus just sprinkle a little milk and you can tie it if the string is more than 1. Shelf life for this dish could be 8-10 days if stored at room temperature. If stored in refrigerator it could last even for a month.
Number of Laddoos: 12-13
How long it takes: 45 minutes