About Batate Song
Batate is potato in Konkani. As all of us know potato is supposed to be the king of vegetables, and a host of dishes are made with potatoes in them . If potato is added as a combination to any dish , it really changes the taste of the dish. Supposing there is no vegetable at home other than Potato , that alone would serve the purpose to make a simple lunch/dinner. One can even think of just slice the potatoes and sprinkle salt to it and fry on the tava and have it as side dish with rice and dal. Its turns out great and is simple to make.
I would like to put up a dish called Batate saong which is a spicy dish prepared by Konkanis. It is nothing but a combination of onion and potato who are great friends among vegetables and when combined make wonders. The recipe is very simple and is a combination with rice and the konkani dali thoy.
What you need to have
– Boiled/Micro waved Potatoes 3
– Onions – 6
– Turmeric powder – 2 teaspoons
– Coriander seeds – 4 teaspoons
– Fenugreek seeds – 5-6
– Tamarind pulp 2 teaspoons
– Cooking oil 1 table spoon
– Red chillies (kashmiri) 5-6
– Salt as per taste
Microwaved Alu, cut onions and Turmeric powder
Ingredients of Masala
What you do with what you have
1. Wash, peal,and cook potatoes in cooker as usual for about 15 minutes. It can even be microwaved for about 3-4 minutes.
2. Cut boiled potatoes into cubes and keep aside. Cut onions lengthwise as shown in the image.
3. Place a broad based bowl on gas adding oil, onions, turmeric powder and some salt. Fry them till the onions are transparent.
4. Fry red chillies, coriander and fenugreek seeds in a little oil and grind them with tamarind to a smooth consistency adding required quantity of water and keep it aside.
5. Add ground masala and potatoes to fried onions and bring it to boil. Don’t add much water since the dish is semi solid .
Relish it with rice and dal.
Ready to serve Potato spicy dish
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings : 4-5