Here is a compilation of general cooking tips – little things that make difference between bad and OK or good and great !
1. Before cooking rice, wash rice and soak it in water for 2 minutes. Drain water and then cook so that it cooks faster.
2. Always add a few drops of cooking oil, a little turmeric powder before Toor Dal is cooked in cooker. Also make sure Dal is soaked for around 10 -15 minutes so that it is cooked properly.
3. Always add required quantity of salt to that particular dish while frying onions, so that it doesn’t get burnt.
4. Soak split blackgram dal in water for at least for 4hours in water before grinding for Idli or Dosas.
5. While cooking vegetables in the cooker add salt to avoid being over cooked.
6. Add salt and onion to salads just before serving.
7. Serve yogurt in a separate bowl for salads.
8. Always make chapathi dough and keep it aside for at least for 1/2 an hour. The dough should be soft for Chapatis to turn out smooth.
9. Make Puri dough harder, but roll it immediately and fry to serve there on.
10. While cooking pulav in cooker wash rice and dry it for a while on a piece of cloth. The reason being that rice corns will not become sticky.
11. Add 1:2 water for rice while cooking pulav in cooker.
12. For potato bhaji the proportion for Alu to Onion is 1:2 (onion shrinks).
13. Use flat bottomed bowls to cook so that heat is spread evenly to the dish/bowl, and cook on medium or low flame.
14. Soak cut Brinjal/Egg plant in salt water for about 10 minutes to get rid of the bitterness as such.
15. Add salt to bitter-guard and squeeze out water to get rid of the extra bitterness.
16. Do not add extra water while steaming idlies in cooker in idli stand , to avoid the water being rushed into the idlies and idlies turning sticky.
17. Add a little salt to sprouted grains while cooking in cooker to avoid getting over cooked.
18. Do not hold the powder pouches (like garam masala powder) directly to the dish on the flame to avoid it getting spoilt. This prevents the steam from entering the pouch and causing the powder turning damp.
19. Always close the lid of the bowl after seasoning to retain the aroma.
20. Don’t wash Okra vegetable after cutting.
21. Do not wash Red Amarnath leaves after cutting since it will loose its colour.
22. Wash Beetroot before cutting.
23. Don’t allow oil to heat so much to generate smoke while deep frying.
24. Capsicum should be fried a little in oil before cooking. Don’t add water and cook. Always cook it with masala only.
25. When dry roasting is done for sambar powder or any masala , please donot over do it. It will surely taste bitter.
26. Donot roast chillie powder without oil. It will burn and inturn not only it changes the colour of the finished product , but also turns the product bitter. Always fry it in a little oil.
27.While frying Green chillies in oil cither pierce it or cut it , else may burst.
28.Crush Garlic cloves before frying it in oil for seasoning.
29. Do not soak Horsegram while preparing dosa or idli as the dough will over ferment and will be tough to roll out dosas from the kettle.
30. While preparing Adirasam the rice dough prepared should be sieved in wheat atta siever as it has to be very fine, else the dish will turn crispy instead of being softy and fine. This is my experience.
Thats for now.