About Stuffed Puri
This is a great dish on the occasional evening, much like Puri-Bhaji in general. I borrowed this stuffed Puri recipe from one of my Gujrati friend who was my next door neighbor in Guwahati. I know people who stuff Puri with Potato Bhaji ; I, though, prefer to stuff Green peas and Cauliflower.
What you need to have
– Fresh Green peas 50 grams
– Cauliflower(Flowrets) 100 grams
– Ginger 1/2″piece
– Green chilly 1 or 2
– Grated coconut 2 teaspoons
– Coriander leaves a handful
– Salt to taste
Ingredients of stuffing
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1/2 teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, cut the florets into pieces, wash green peas and keep it aside.
2. Wash and cut coriander leaves, Green chilly, Ginger into pieces.
3. Place all the above ingredients from step 1 & 2 (except coriander leaves) in the mixer bowl and crush it to a coarse consistency.
4. Place a wide based bowl on the flame with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil and mustard seeds in it.On sputtering add cumin seeds, Turmeric powder, Garam masala powder and the ground mixture from step 3.
5. Add salt and let it cook in the open pan on low flame for about 10 minutes. Add lemon juice to it and decorate it with coriander leaves and grated coconut, allow it to cool.
Lets prepare the puri dough now.
The ready stuffing
What you need to have:
– All purpose flour – 150 grams (Maida)
– Cooking oil – 6-8 teaspoonful
– For deep frying : Cooking oil
What you do with what you have
1.Mix flour with salt and oil. Keep adding water so that the dough is smooth and is as shown in the image below. When the dough is rolled and stuffed one should be able to cover it properly and it should not crack. Make sure the dough does’t turn out sticky. But don’t dust it with too much of flour, it spoils the oil.
Ready dough & rolled puri
2. Pinch out 1 and 1/2- 2″ diameter balls from the dough and roll it medium thick. Fill it with the above mix, cover it with the dough, roll it again as shown in the image below.
Stuffed puri being rolled
3. Heat oil in a pan , deep fry rolled/stuffed puri on both sides as shown in the image below. Relish it with Tomato sauce.
Puri with Tomato sauce
Number of servings: 8-10 puris
How long it takes: 1 hour