About Tomato Burfi
In my childhood days there was a fancy for burfies . Although several varieties of burfies were available in most shops, tomato burfi was only available in one particular shop. I liked tomato burfi since it was not too sweet and as one would expect had a sour tinge to it. I knew the shopkeeper well and this ensured that whenever a new stock of tomato burfi came in, I would have the chance to purchase some. Of course, my mom prepared them at home but it was not quite the same.
Several years later I thought I would as well give a try and since it turned out well, I am putting this up on the blog in order to share with my readers. It is an easy recipe and can be prepared it within 35-40 minutes. One or 2 pieces can be served for kids in their lunch box.
What you need to have:
Tomatoes (pulpy) – 250grams
Fresh grated coconut – 50 grams
Sugar – 350 grams
Cardamom – 10
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Ingredients of Tomato Burfi
What you do with what you have:
1.Wash, cut tomatoes into pieces and grind it in the mixer to a smooth consistency. Use a strainer to discard the skin.
2. Powder cardamom and keep it aside.
3. Crush sugar, grated coconut and tomato juice from step 1 in the mixer /blender together to a smooth consistency.
Tomato Juice crushed with coconut & sugar
3. Place a broad based bowl with the above mixture on a medium /high flame. Keep stirring until it turns thick (like chapathi dough) and does not stick to the side of the bowl.
4. Add cardamom powder and switch off the flame.
5. Pour the thick mixture on a piece of log. Apply a little pure ghee to the chapathi roller and roll it to the required thickness. Cut into required shape and size.
What they look like:
Ready to serve Burfies
What to remember:
1. While crushing tomatoes please do not add water to it.
2. While stirring the mixture be careful to see that it doesn’t get burnt (and bitter). To check whether burfi is ready or not apply a little ghee to your finger tips and check if the batter can roll over it . It consumes exactly 30 minutes if adjusted flame between high & medium.
3. As with burfis, cut the mixture as soon as you take it off the gas.
As far as possible please use only pulpy tomatoes instead of the juicy ones. Buy baby tomatoes which are pulpy ones as shown in the image. (Oval shape)
How long it takes: 30 minutes
No of pieces: 25