Kuvale is Ash guard. Rain or sun, this is a vegetable that is available through out the year. In Kannada it is called “Kumbalakai”. Ash guard is considered to be very sacred for Hindus. During the house warming ceremony in places like Bangalore people buy the whole vegetable, make a deep hole on the top of it, fill it with kum kum, a few coins and crush it and keep it in front of the new building, presumably to avoid the “evil eye”. Overall, Ash guard dish especially Puli koddhel is a must for certain functions. It is also prepared at home as a side dish. Puli koddhel is sweet-sour in taste. Besides, we also prepare a dish called kuvale ambat and kuvale sasam.
A piece of Ashguard
What you need to have:
Ash guard – 500 grams
Tamarind extract – 1/2 teaspoon
Jaggery (molasses) – a 1″ piece
Fresh grated coconut – 100 grams
Coriander seeds – 2 teaspoons
Byadgi chilli – 4
Bengal-gram Dal – 2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Pinch of fenugreek seeds
Sesame seeds – 1 teaspoon
Raw rice – 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Ingredients of masala
Ready to serve Kuvale puli
What you do with what you have:
1. Peal, wash, cut Ashguard into required size pieces and cook in cooker adding tamarind and Jaggery.
2. Roast grated coconut to light brown as shown in the above image.
3. Place oil in a bowl and fry Bengal-gram Dal, coriander seeds, fenugreek, cumin seeds, raw rice & turmeric powder and keep it aside. Fry chillies separately.
4. Wash sesame seeds & roast them without oil in a bowl. (when it sputters it means it has roasted. Also it gives a pleasant aroma.).
5. Grind fried masala from step 3 and sesame seeds from step 4 with coconut to a moderately fine consistency in the mixer/blender adding water in steps.
6. Transfer cooked ash-guard pieces to a bowl and add the ground masala to it, adding sufficient quantity of salt bring it to boil. Add jaggery if necessary.
7. Season the dish with Mustard seeds, Red chili, and curry leaves. Keep the lid closed and serve hot with rice as a side dish.
What it looks like:
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4