About Beetroot Salad
These days salads are rather common in our daily food needs. They are relatively more healthier when eaten raw because boiling them would mean loss of valuable nutrients. In spite of this for vegetables like beetroot, eating them raw is not preferred. Especially for kids and older people it is better if it is steamed – that would make it smoother and taste better.
Beetroot salad is easy to prepare. I borrowed this recipe from my sister who is a teacher and is based in Bombay. These days I prepare it at least once a week since beetroot is available throughout the year.
What you need to have:
Steamed beetroot – (medium sized) 1
Onion – (medium) 1
Tomato – 1
Green chilli – 2 (small)
Some corriander leaves
Curd/Yoghurt (optional) – 2 teaspoons
Ingredients of Steamed Beet root salad
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and cut beetroot into small pieces.
2. Steam it in cooker in a bowl for about 10 minutes with a pinch of salt without water .
3. Cut tomatoes (length wise) and chop corriander leaves.
4. On cooling cut steamed Beetroot into similar lengthwise pieces. To this add cut vegetables from Step 3.
5. Season it with mustard and curry leaves and the dish is ready.
Just before serving you may add cut onion, green chilli and salt and mix with the above preparation. Optionally you may add curd as well at this point.
What it looks like:
Ready to serve Beetroot salad
What to remember:
1. All vegetables can be cut and kept aside except onion. Squeezed green chilli with salt and onion can be added just before serving. Otherwise the dish may end up being too moist and soft and vegetables not longer remain crispy.
2. Lemon also can be used as an alternative to tomatoes.
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 2