About Pumkin Curry
Pumpkin is one of those vegetables which is amenable to diverse recipes. We prepare pumpkin curry, weet idlis, Mulika (konkani term) and is also used in mixed vegetable curry. I borrowed this recipe from my neighbor in Ernakulam where we stayed back in 1984-85. We called this neighbor ‘Aunty’. When I was new to the place, she invited me to her house one day and offered me this dish for lunch. Although hesitant to start with, over time I began to like this dish and starting with this dish, a bond was formed between Aunty and me and we exchanged dishes every now and then. Even everyone in my family love it. This dish is a good side-dish with Chapaties as well in addition to its usual appearance as side-dish for lunch.
What you need to have:
Pumpkin – 250 grams
Toor Dal – 50 grams
Toor dal and Pumpkin pieces
Grated coconut – 1 cup
Green chillies – 3
Garlic cloves – 4-5
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Ingredients of the Masala
1. Wash, peal and cut pumpkin into medium size pieces and cook with Toor Dal in the cooker for about 20 minutes.
2. Grind the above masala ingredients to a smooth consistency in the blender/mixer adding water in steps.
3. Transfer cooked dal and pumpkin mixture from Step 1 to another bowl and to it add the ground masala from Step 2.
4. Bring the above mixture to boil. You may also add salt at this stage.
5. Season it with Mustard, Asafoetida powder, Red chilli and curry leaves.
6. Keep the lid closed to retain aroma until serving time.
The pumpkin curry may be served with Rice and/or Roti.
What it looks like:
Ready to serve pumpkin curry
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4