Dhokla is a Gujarati dish. I learned it from one of my friends in Guwahati back in 1991-93. She had once invited us for morning breakfast and the main dish was Dhokla. I liked it and asked her for the recipe. She told me that it can be prepared instantly also . But this is a refined way of preparing it. Of course it consumes time. It has some resemblance to Idli but the ingredients are completely different. Although we do season Idlis from the previous night/morning, we do not do so with fresh Idlis. In case of Dhoklas though, seasoning is a part of normal preparation.
What you need to have:
Chana Dal – 1cup (250 g.)
Moong Dal (Greengram Dal) – 1/2 cup (125 g)
Sour curds/Yogurt – 1 cup
Ginger piece – 3/4″ piece
Green chillies – 4
Lemon juice – 1 level tea spoon
Cooking soda – 3/4 tea spoon
Cooking oil – 1 table spoon
Chili powder – 1 level teaspoon
Eno fruit salt(lemon) – 1 sachet
Salt and Sugar to taste
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak both the dals together in a bowl for about 2 hours.
2. Drain the water and add green chillies, ginger, salt, curds and grind it to a fine consistency without adding water.
3. Remove the batter from the bowl and add cooking soda to it. Set it aside for fermentation for about 4-6 hours depending upon the weather. (Takes about 4 hours in summer and anything between 8-10 hours in winter.)
4. On fermenting the dough rises in the bowl. Add lemon juice, sugar and cooking oil to the mixture.
5. Grease the cooker separators or any round bowl and the mixture in it. Add 1/3 of the Eno sachet.
7. Cut the resulting steamed ‘cake’ to the required shape and sprinkle chili powder over it.
8. Steam the remaining half of the mixture like above mixing eno salt to it. ( steaming immediately on mixing with eno salt ).
Now you need to season the dhokla. For seasoning:
1. Take oil in a small pan. Add mustard, hing, cumin seeds, red chili shreds, sesame seeds and curry leaves.
Dhokla can be relished with chutney or tomato sauce.
How long it takes: 6 hours from scratch, 45 minutes after fermentation
Number of servings: 5