How long it takes: 45 minutes
Alsi seeds/Flax seeds in English and Agase beeja in Kannada Is known to its medicinal value. I have already put up Alsi seeds chutney powder which was well-received. So as a change I tried a simple version of that recipe but with additional ingredients, namely peanuts and garlic.
What you need to have:
1. Flax seeds – 1/2 cup
2. Peanuts – 1/3 cup
3. Sesame seeds – 1/3 cup
4. Dalia dal – 1/4 cup
5. Copra (dry) – 3 Tablespoons (grated)
6. Curry leaves – a handful
7. Garlic pods – 5-6
8. Byadgi chili powder – 2 Teaspoons
9. Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
10. Tamarind – size of a pealed Arecanut
11. Salt – as needed
Raw flax seeds & Peanuts
Raw Dalia Dal & Sesame seeds
Other ingredients of the dish
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and drain flax seeds and dry roast it on medium flame till it splutters.
Washed flax seeds in the skillet to roast
Flax seeds roasted till it splutters
Washed sesame seeds to be roasted
Roasted sesame seeds
3. Place a skillet with dalia dal in and dry roast it till it turns crispy but does not change the color and also not burn. In the same skillet dry roast peanuts till one is able to peal it also you get a pleasant aroma.
Dalia dal being roasted
4. Wash and pat dry curry leaves and dry roast the same till crispy but not change the colour.
Curry leaves being roasted
5. Dry roast grated copra till crispy till the colour turns to light brown. Switch off the flame add chili powder and place the tamarind a midst the hot mixture so as to soften the tamarind. Stir occasionally.
Copra roasted & Tamarind & chili powder being added
6. Transfer all the roasted ingredients into a bowl including garlic(raw) salt and sugar.
All chutney ingredients in a bowl for a closer view
7. Transfer the above chutney mix to a mixi bowl and grind it to a medium coarse powder. Check for salt and add if needed.
Transfer it to an airtight container and enjoy with roti, chapati, dosa, idli, bread sandwich, or anything else.
(Alsi) Flax seeds peanut chutney powder
Good to remember:
1. Always wash flax seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves for better results before roasting.
2. One can change the quantity of chili powder as per one’s pallet.
3. Sugar actually gives a unique flavor to the powder. So I would actually recommend it.