Ready to serve sprouted moong bean pulav
Time taken – 45 minutes
Moong bean is the most popular lentil among the vegetarians. We prepare sprouted moong usli, moong ghashi(Moong in coconut gravy) moong saru, sprouted green gram salad etc. Today i would like to put up Sprouted moong pulav incorporated with a couple of veggies and the usual masala. This is a very nutritious , mild and easy to make dish . Only thing is one has to plan a day in advance as the bean has to be sprouted. Serve on its own or with a spicy side dish of your choice.
What you need to have:
1. Sprouted moong bean – 1 and 1/2 cup
2. Basumati rice -1 cup
3. Chopped french beans – 1/2 cup
4. Chopped carrots – 1/2 cup
Chopped fresh veggies
Ingredients of seasoning:
1. Chopped onions – 1 and 1/2 cup
2. Masala patha – 2
3. Star anise masala -1
4. Chopped cashews – A few
5. Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
7. Dhania jeera powder – 1 teaspoon
8. Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon(home made)
9. Cooking oil – 2 Teaspoons
10. Salt – to taste
Ingredients of seasoning
Ingredients of wet masala:
1. Tomato – 1 big
2. Ginger- 1 ” piece
3. Garlic pods – 3-4
4. Mint leaves – a few
5. Cilantro – 2 tablespoons
Ingredients of wet masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and drain water from basumati rice and keep it aside to dry up. Soak Moong bean iin water for about 5-6 hours. Drain water and tie it in muslin cloth and keep it aside for about 8-10 hours. If you open the cloth the bean will have sprouted. It is as shown in the image-1.
2. Grind all the ingredients of wet masla in the mixer to a fine consistency without addding water.
Grind wet masala
3. Place a cooker with 2 -3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. Add masala patha when heated. When fried add cashews, star anise masala to it and fry till done.
Cashews and masla items being fried
4. When done add chopped onions and required quantity of salt to it and fry till translucent.
Chopped onions being fried till translucent
5. Now when done add all the powders in a row and give a stir. When done add the chopped veggies, to it and stir it with a spatula.
All the powders added in a row
6. Add rice and sprouted moong bean to it and stir it for a minute.
7. Add the grind wet masala and stir for a minute. Now add required quantity of water and check for salt and if required add salt too!!! Close the lid and cook for about 20 minutes. Transfer it to a serving plate and enjoy either plain or with any side dish of your choice.
Moong bean rice ready to be cooked
8. Enjoy either plain or with a side dish of your choice.
Ready to serve moong bean rice
Time taken : 45 minutes
Note: 1. Use basumati rice and quality moong beans for the dish.
2. Vegetables can be of your own choice.
3. One can even avoid grinding the wet masala and use it in the seasoning itself.
4. I have used home made garam masala . so only 1/2 teaspoon as it is very strong