Ready to serve Kaman dhokla with sauce & chutney
Time taken _30 minutes
Kaman dhokla is one of the favorite street food of north indian people and is also my favorite dish. Whenever i visit my sister’s place in Bombay i make it a point to make a party with these lovely dishes like the “Khandvi” and “Kaman dhokla”. I have already put up “Khandvi” on this blog and I tried “Khaman dhokla” a couple of times and it turned out great and i was curious to share it with my viewers. I have already put up “Dhokla” (gujrati) on this blog about 6 years back and also “Suji dhokla” and now “Kaman dhokla” being the third one to add to the list. Here is my version of Kaman dhokla today!!!
What you need to have:
1. Besan (chick pea atta – 1 cup
2. Water – 1/2 cup(only)
3. Curds -1/2 cup(thick)
4. Green chili- 1 and 1/2 (if not spicy else only 1 will do)
5. Ginger – 1″ piece
6. Sugar – 1 teaspoon
7. Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
8. Turmeric powder – a pinch
9. Asafoetida powder – a pinch
10. Cooking oil (raw) – 1 tablespoon
11.Eno fruit salt sachet – 1 (1 and 1/4 teaspoon)
12. Salt – as per taste
Chickpea atta & curds
Other ingredients of garnishing of the dish
Ingredients of Seasoning & Garnishing:
1. Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
2. Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
3. Sesame seeds - 1 teaspoon
4. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 teaspoon
5. Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
7. Red chili pieces – 2-3
8. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
9. Cooking oil – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
Ingredients of Garnishing:
1. Fresh grated coconut – A handful
2. Chopped cilantro – A handful
3. Red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Ingredients of Seasoning & Garnishing
What you do with what you have:
1. Sieve chickpea atta in the sieve and keep it aside. Also beat curds in the mixer along with the mentioned quantity of water and transfer it to a bowl. Slowly add chickpea atta to it and mix it in such a way that there are absolutely no lumps.
Chickpea atta being added to beaten curds
2. Wash and peal ginger and grate it , also grate green chili , grate coconut, wash and chop cilantro and keep it aside as shown in image-2.
3. Add all the ingredients namely green chili- ginger paste , sugar, salt, cooking oil, lemon juice, a pinch of turmeric powder, a pinch of asafoetida powder, and the mix is as shown in the image below.
4. Place a wide bowl containing water and bring it to boil. Place a ring in it.
5. Greece a cooker separator with a little oil and pour the ready dough in it. Add Eno salt sachet to it and mix well. On adding this fruit salt the dough will come up and is as shown in the image below.
Kaman dhokla dough on adding eno salt
6. Place the container into the broad bowl and close it with the lid covered with a cotton cloth as shown in the image , so that the vapors do not fall over the dish and the dish is cooked in 8 minutes.
Kaman dhokla being steamed
7. Just insert a knife or a back of a spoon to check if cooked. Cool it for a while and reverse it on a plate and sprinkle a pinch or two of red chili powder and immediately cut it with the knife to required shape and garnish it with coconut and chopped cilantro.
Stemed kaman dhokla being garnished with cilantro & coconut
8. Place a spatula with 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on low/medium flame. On being heated add mustard seeds to it. When it starts spluttering add cumin seeds, asafoetida powder, sesame seeds, turmeric powder, red chili pieces, and finally Curry leaves. When done switch of the flame and season it to the steamed dhokla.
Kaman dhokla being seasoned
9. Serve with tomato sauce and pudina chutney. yummmmmmmmm!!!!!
Kaman dhokla with sauce & pudina chutney
Time taken : 30 minutes
Note: 1. Water should not be added in excess of the mentioned quantity . The reason being it till make the dhokla turn soggy and tasteless.
2. I have not added soda to the dough in addition to eno salt, since the texture was fine with only eno fruit salt. One can make out from the picture too.
3. Always use fresh chickpea atta and also fresh eno fruit salt for better results.
4. Eno should be added only after the water in the steaming bowl is boiling and immediately steamed.
5. Steaming process is complete in maximum 7-8 minutes. Else it means that the dhokla mix is not properly done.