How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 2-3
When it rains heavy during the rainy season we feel like having something new for a change and I tried out this Shahi Paneer recipe with simple ingredients with Roti. And Wow it really tasted great and I thought of sharing the same with you all and for that recipe using ghee or oil is your choice to make it.
What you need to have
1. Paneer cubes – 1 cup
2. Amul cream – 4-5 teaspoons
3. milk – 1/2 cup
4. Cooking oil – 1/2 cup (to fry paneer)
Ingredients of wet masala & seasoning:
1. Green chili – 2-3
2. Ginger – 1/2 ” piece
3. Tomato chopped – 1/3 cup
4. Garlic – 2-3 pods
5. Onion chopped – 1 cup
6. Cashews – a few
7. Raisins – a handful
8. . Turmeric powder – 1/3 teaspoon
9. Chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
10. Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon (home made)
11. White pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon (home made)
12. Salt – as per taste
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and chop onions, chop tomatoes, peal garlic and keep it aside as shown in the above image.
2. Empty Paneer pack and immerse it in water for a while. Squeeze out the water and heat oil in a spatula and fry paneer cubes till light brown and keep it aside. Once done also fry raisins and half the quantity of cashews in oil and keep it aside.
3. Grind chopped onion, tomato, garlic, ginger and 2-3 cashews in the mixer to a fine consistency.
4. Place a wide pan with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil /ghee in it. On heating add the grind masala and salt to it and fry till it starts releasing oil. Give a stir and on simmering the flame add all powders and stir. Add milk to it and bring it to a boil till it turns thick.
5. Add fried raisins, cashews(half the quantity) to it and also add milk cream and fried paneer cubes from step-2 to it. Bring it to boil on simmering the flame checking for salt.
6. Transfer it to a serving bowl garnishing with remaining dry fruits, cilantro and enjoy with Chapati or Roti!
Good to remember: 1. One can use ghee in place of oil. I prefer cooking oil since I do not want the dish to be rich.
2. I use a few cashews in grinding to make the gravy tastier and to thicken as well.
3. I have used Amul fresh cream (low fat cream) which one may replace by home made cream if available.