How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 3
Masoor dal is more common in North India and in fact was not at all available in the south for a long time. Masoor dal is orangish-pink in colour but turns yellow when cooked. I borrowed this masala masoor dal recipe from my daughter-in-law – she had made it for lunch and both of us loved it. I add some spinach as a variation whenever possible.
What you need to have:
1. Masoor dal – 1/2 cup
2. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
3. Chopped onion – 1/3 cup
4. Chopped tomato – 1/4 cup
5. Ginger – 1/2 ” piece
6. Green chili – 3-4
7. chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
8. turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
9. Garam masala powder – 1/3 teaspoon
10. salt – as per taste
11 . Cooking oil – 2 teaspopons
12. chopped cilantro – 1 tablespoon
Ingredients of masala masoor dal
What you do with what you have:
1. Cook dal as usual in the cooker for about 20 minutes till soft.
Cooked Masoor dal
2. Place a wide skillet with 2 teaspoons fo cooking oil in it on low/medium flame. On heating add cumin seeds to it. When it splutters, add chopped green chili and also chopped garlic and fry till done.
Seasoning in progress
3. Add chopped tomatoes and onions together with required quantity of salt to it.
Chopped tomato & onions being fried
4. Fry till done and add all the powders mentioned above stirring throughout.
Add all powders
5. Finally add cooked dal from step 2 to it and bring it to the required consistency by adding water in steps checking for salt and bringing it to boil.
Cooked masoor dal being added to the seasoning
6. Thats it. Garnish it with chopped cilantro and I thought its best enjoyed with rice.
Ready to serve masala masoor dal garnished with chopped cilantro
Good to remember:
1. Dal should be cooked to fine consistency for best results.
2. One can even add 1/2 cup cooked palak for a variation.
3. This can be a side dish for rotis too.