How long it takes: 30-45 mins
Number of servings: 3-4
Khandvi, a gujarati dish is a popular street food in the Gujrat/Maharashtra area. If you like it, it is hard to conceal your liking for it. The flip side though is that one needs a lot of patience to get this dish right especially since the dough needs to be cooked on low flame slowly till it turns thick. So take care to follow the instructions precisely.
What you need to have:
1. Besan Atta/Chickpea Atta – 1 Cup
2. Sweet curds - 1 Cup
3. Water – 1 and 1/2 cup
4. Asafoetida powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
5. Turmeric powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
6. Green chilli & Ginger paste – 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Salt – As per taste
8. Sugar – A pinch
What you do with what you have:
1. Sieve Besan atta, salt and Turmeric powder in the atta siever and keep aside.
2. Run curds and water in the mixer/blender – mix fine so it is free of lumps. Add the sieved Besan atta mix, sugar, green chilli-ginger mix, asafoetida powder and run the blender again so that all ingredients are mixed well.
3. Place a thick bottomed skillet on sim/medium flame (depending upon one’s burner) with the mixture from step 2 to it. Keep stiring adjusting the flame in such a way that it is cooked well till the raw smell disappears and the mixture stops sticking to the sides of the skillet.
4. Immediately pour a laddle of the cooked mix on the backside of a steel plate (see image below) and move in a circular mode like you spread dosa and as thin as possible on the whole plate. Since you want a thin spread, the steel plate has to be a big one. Cut it into 2″ wide and lengthwise and role it immediately with your fingers delicately.
Khandvi dough being rolled
5. Arrange it in a plate so that it is easy to garnish and season it as well.
Khandvi rolls being placed in a plate
Ingredients of Garnishing & seasoning
1. Fresh grated Coconut – 2 Tablespoons
2. Chopped Cilantro -2 Tablespoons
3. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
4, Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoons
5. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 Teaspoons
6. Sesame seeds -1 Teaspoon
7. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
8. Red chilli pieces – A few
9. Curry leaves – 1 Sprig
10. Cookin oil – 2 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Garnishing and Seasoning
6. Garnish it with fresh grated coconut and chopped Cilantro.
Fresh grated coconut & Cilantro being garnished
7. Place a spatula with 2 Teaspoons of cooking oil in it on low flame. When heated add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida powder, turmeric powder, sesame seeds, red chilli pieces ans finally curry leaves to it. Season it to the garnished Khandvi from step 6 to it.
Enjoy with either Tomato sauce or garlic chutney.
Seasoning in progress
Khandvi with Garlic chutney & sauce
Good to remember:
1. Besan should be mixed properly without lumps to cook it right.
2. Cooking on low/medium flame till the raw smell is gone is important. So also is ensuring that the dough is thickened slowly and low flame.