Today I am putting up Green Rice, the name that comes from a combination of a few greens with rice and green peas. This is roughly in the same league as Palak rice, Mint rice and Methi pulav. I prepared it at home for a party and it was well-received. Hence the desire to share with fellow bloggers. Do give a try and enjoy with tomato salad like you would enjoy your other one pot meal.
What you need to have:
1. Herbs – Chopped Palak – 2 cups
2. Chopped Dill leaves – 1 cup
3. Green peas – 1/2 cup
4. Basumati rice – 1 cup
5. Wet masala
6. Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
Basumati rice Washed & drained
Chopped fresh Greens & Green peas
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Bay leaves - 2 -3 pieces
2. Cashews – A handful
3. Raisins – A handful
4. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
5. Garlic pods – 6-7
6. Garam masala powder – 1 Teaspoon
7. Chopped Capsicum – 1/2 cup
8. Chopped Spring onion greens – 1/2 cup
9. Chopped spring onion(white) – 1/4 cup
Ingredients of Seasoning & chopped veggies
Ingredients of Wet masala:
1. Chopped onion – 1 medium
2. Chopped mint leaves – A handful
3. Chopped cilantro – A handful
4. Bilimbi or Green tomato – 2
5. Green chillies – 3-4
6. Ginger – A knob
Ingredients of Wet Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop both the dill leaves and palak fine and keep it aside as shown in image 2.
2. Wash Basumati rice drain water and keep it aside as shown in image 1.
3. Place a cooker with 2-3 Tablespoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating , add bay leaves to it and on being fried add both cashews resins, chopped garlic and ginger to it. When it is just about to be fried, add cumin seeds to it. When done add spring onion, onion greens and required quantity of salt to the dish so that onions do not get burnt. When onions are fried add garam masala powder to it and stir well.
Seasoning in progress
4. Now add chopped palak, dill leaves, green peas from step-1 to it and just fry for a while in it.
Chopped greens & Green peas being fried in the seasoning
5. Grind the iongredients of wet masala (image-4) in the mixer adding a little water to a medium fine consistency and is as shown in the image below. Also grind 1/2 cup fresh coconut in the mixer adding water in steps to a medium fine consistency and strain the same in the strainer to extract the milk.
Ground green masala and coconut milk
6. Add both ground wet masala and coconut milk from step-5 to the seasoning and the mix would be as shown in the image below.
Wet masala being added to the seasoning
7. Add coconut milk, Basumati rice and required quantity of water to the dish and cook as usual for around 20 minutes closing the lid.
Coconut milk and Basumati rice being added
8. Ready to serve Green rice is as shown in the image below. Enjoy with your favorite salad. Yummyyyyyyyyyyy
Green Rice with Tomato-Onion salad
How long it takes: 1 hour
Number of servings: 4-5