Shankarpoli is a popular snack among the south indian people. Even to this day shankarpoli is served at wedding breakfasts along with Masala upma which goes very well with it. But that one is the spicy version of shankarpoli. Today I would like to put up the sweet version of Shankarpoli.
What you need to have:
1. Maida (All purpose flour) – 3 cups
2. Powdered sugar – 1 and 1/2 cups
3. Butter – 1/6 th cup
Ingredients of sweet Shankarpoli
What you do with what you have:
1. Sieve maida in the siever. Powder sugar in the mixer and keep aside.
2. Transfer sieved atta to a broad bowl and add butter to it and mix well. Also add powdered sugar from step 1 to it and mix well. Slowly sprinkle water and knead the dough so that it is soft. Pinch out the required quantity of the dough from it.
The dough and the pinched out ball
3. Dust the pinched out ball in maida and roll it to medium thickness on a thick plastic sheet. Cut it with the shankarpoli cutter to the required size.
Rolled roti cut into required shape & size
4. Place a skillet with 2-3 cups of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating just put in the cut pieces of the roti from step 3 into it and fry it till the sizzling sound stops and the shankarpoli turns light brown.
Shankarpoli being fried in oil
When done serve hot with tea as snacks. It will remain afresh if stored in air tight containers and fresh oil is used for frying. Yummmm
Ready to serve sweet shankarpoli
How long it takes: Just 45 minutes