I am willing to bet that many of you will have never heard of this dish. I have already put up Jackfruit idlis, Payasam and Mulika but this is different. A very popular among the people of South and North Kanara, I have made a few modifications to this age old conventional recipe and it tasted great. Here goes the recipe:
What you need to have:
1. Jck fruit sheaths chopped – 1 cup
2. Sona Masoori Raw rice – 1 cup
3. Fresh grated coconut – 4 Tablespoons
4. Green chillies – 2
5. Ginger chopped – 1 Teaspoon
6. Chopped coriander leaves – A handful
7. Cumin seeds – 1 and 1/2 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Jackfruit spicy dosa
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak raw rice in water for about 2 hours.
2. Chop jackfruit sheaths fine, grate coconut, peal and chop ginger,coriander leaves and keep it aside.
3. After two hours drain water from soaked rice and mix chopped sheaths, chopped ginger, grated coconut and green chillis together in a bowl.
4. Grind the above mixed ingerdients in the mixer adding required quantity of water to a fine consistency. Let the batter be a little thin so that dosa could be spread easily on the griddle. Add chopped coriander leaves from step 2 and also cumin seeds to it. Also add 2 teaspoons of sugar and required quantity of salt to the dosa batter.
Jackfruit dosa batter
5. Place a dosa griddle on medium flame and when heated sprinkle a few drops of ghee/oil on it. Also sprinkle a little water and rub it with a coconut coir so that it spreads it well.
6. Stir the dosa batter and pour one laddle batter and spread it wide in a circular manner with the laddle. Close it with a lid so that it cooks well.
Dosa being cooked
Dosa being cooked
7. Open the lid and leave it open for a while and reverse the dosa so that it turns crispy.
Dosa being cooked on the reverse
On being done enjoy with your favorite chutney. It really tastes yummy !
Jackfruit dosa with chutney
Number of Dosas: 15
How long it takes: 45 minutes