Yam belongs to the family of the veggies grown underneath the soil like the Potato, sweet potato, Tapioca etc. Potato, although is universally liked, is gastric in nature. But Yam is served even to patients as it is good from health point of view. Of course, its not half as popular. Today I would like to put up Yam curry – a simple recipe like most Konkani curries. And oh, this Yam is from my garden !
The fresh whole Yam
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Yam – 3 Cups
2. Peanut powder – 1/2 Cup
3. Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoon
4. Chopped coriander leaves – 2-3 Tablespoons
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
3. Red chilli powder – 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
5. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Yam curry
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and chop yam and cut it either into square pieces or lengthwise as shown in the image above.(You can even soak it in water for a while just before seasoning.)
2. Wash and chop tomatoes, coriander leaves and keep it aside as well.
3. Dry roast peanuts till you get a pleasant aroma and on cooling peal it and powder it to a coarse consistency in the mixer .
4. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating add mustard seeds to it. On sputtering add cumin seeds and let it also sputter. Add turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, chili powder one behind the other and keep stirring.
5. Now add chopped tomatoes from step-2 and stir for a while. Add required quantity of salt to the dish.
6. Add chopped, soaked yam pieces from step 1 (drain water), roasted peanut powder from step 3 and stir well adding a little water for yam to cook as it will not cook fast like the potatoes!!! depending upon the quality.
Ready to serve Yam curry
When it is done decorate it with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice and Rasam or Dal.
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6