Wheat atta as you know is used mainly for Chapati, Parathas and Phulkas. We also make atta Ladoos, Namkeen, and we use it in combination with other atta like Besan as well to prepare so many dishes, but one may be surprised to hear about wheat atta dosas. The great thing about this is that it is prepared instantly and needs no fermentation. When breakfast is not planned for the morning, I fall back to this option – tasty, quick to prepare and a good breakfast item.
What you need to have:
1. Wheat atta fine – 1 cup
2. All purpose flour (Maida) – 1/2 cup
3. Chopped Green chillies – 2 in number
4. Chopped Ginger – 1 Teaspoon
5. Grated coconut – 2 Tablespoon
6. Chopped coriander leaves – 1 Tablespoon
6. Cumin seeds – 1/4 Teaspoon
7. Sugar – A pinch
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Blackgram Dal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Cumin seeds – 3/4 Teaspoon
4. Curry leaves – 2 strands
Ingredients of Wheat Atta Dosa
What you do with what you have:
1. Sieve both atta and all purpose flour together in the sieve.
2. Wash and chop green chillies, ginger and coriander leaves fine and keep it aside. Grate coconut as well.
3. Transfer the sieved atta from step 1 to a bowl. Add required quantity of salt and a pinch of sugar to it. Add 2 cups of water and mix well with your hands in such a way that there are no lumps in it.
4. Mix chopped green chillies, ginger, grated coconut from step-2 to the dosa mix and also 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds and stir well with a laddle.
5. Place a spatula with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. When heated, add mustard seeds to it. When it starts sputtering add blackgram Dal to it. When it is fried add the remaining 3/4 Teaspoon of cumin seeds to it. Lastly add curry leaves to it and add this seasoning to the Dosa batter.
Wheat Atta Dosa Mix
6. Place a dosa griddle on a medium flame and when heated just sprinkle a few drops of cooking oil and rub it with a coconut coir in a circular fashion on the griddle. Sprinkle a little water on it.
7. Pour a laddle of batter and spread to a medium thickness and close it with a lid on a low flame. Just remove the lid after 2 minutes and here below is your dosa, half done as yet though !
8. Just reverse it and sprinkle a little oil and cook it for a while and now here is the ready dosa.
Dosa being cooked on the other side
Ready to serve Wheat Atta Dosa with chutney & chutney powder
Serve hot with your favorite chutney and/or dry chutney powder (some options here).
How long it takes: 45 Minutes
Number of Dosas: 10 Dosas