About Alu Paratha
Parathas are the hot favorites of this day. We prepare a variety of parathas at home like Muli parata, Methi Paratha, Green peas parata and Alu parata is one among them. It is the delicacy of North India but over the years has become very popular in the South as well and is prepared both in homes and in restaurants.
Actually instead of preparing the ordinary chapathies some would say that is preferable to prepare paratas, since you get a healthy vegetable intake as well. For alu paratas we prepare Alu curry initially and then add proportionately to the dough.
What you need to have
- Boiled Alu (potato) 3 medium-sized
- Green chillies – 3-4
- Grated coconut 2 teaspoon
- Lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt as per taste
- Wheat atta as required
- Corriander leaves 2 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves a few
- Cooking oil 2 teaspoons
Ingredients of Alu parata
What you do with what you have
1. Wash, peal and cut each potato into 4 pieces and cook it in cooker for 15-20 minutes as usual till done.
2. On cooling mash cooked potatoes. To it add grated coconut , corriander leaves, lemon juice salt and green chillies..
3. Separately heat 2 teaspoons of cooking oil, add Mustard seeds. On sputtering add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
4. Add the seasoning to mashed potatoes from step 3. Now add the required quantity of wheat atta to the Potato mix and make the dough in such a way that it becomes smooth but not sticky as shown in the image below.
5. Pinch out 2-3″ dough and dust it in atta and roll it to required size .
6. Heat Chapathi griddle. Add a little cooking oil/ghee and roast parata on both the sides.
Ready to serve Alu parata
Relish hot with either Tomato sauce or with amul butter or your favorite side-dish.
What to remember
1. Do not add water at all to the dough since the lemon juice and the green chillies squeezed with salt generates enough moisture for the dough to mix up and make it smooth.
2. 1 or 2 teaspoons of cooking oil can be added while kneading the dough to make it softer so that it becomes easy to roll and does not break the sides of the paratas.
3. The left over dough can be stored in the refregerator and used later.
How long it takes: 1 hr
Number of servings: 8 -10 medium parathas